Friday, February 5, 2010

she drink coffee, sea lion, she drink tea, sea lion..

What I am cannot readily be expressed in words. Though words, I understand, are usually the best place to look when trying to describe something.

Why do I want to describe something? I suppose maybe looking for relevance? ..familiarity? The possible idea that *through* this communication someone can relate? ..validation? ..community?

Sharing is.. caring? scaring? scarring? .. ring.. ring.. .. .. ring.. ring..

phones don't really 'ring' any more. You can't really say 'Hey Dennis, give me a 'ring' later, we'll catch up.' You'd have to say something like 'Give me a Theme to Sesame St. later, give me a Beethoven's fifth, a Six Feet Under opening title.. we'll talk.' But you wag your hand at your face in a sideways 'Y' gesture and people get it.

Also, cameras (unless they are non-digital, and my ignorant point of view will decide that this pending fact is also true of some non-digital models) don't make a 'click' noise when the shutter opens and closes. The machine does!!!! The silly robot that lives in your digital camera clicks and sighs when you (eventually figure out how to) push the little green button! It has NOTHING to do with the shutter!

!!!

I wonder what the evolution of THAT will yield. 'Well son, when I was your age, phones all made the same sound, one sound, one funny wiggly 'ring ring' noise to let you know someone wanted to talk to you. No texting back then, no emoticons, no facebook. These images here? They were made from small spools of plasticky brown stuff that couldn't EVER be exposed to the light of day or they would disappear!! We kept them in special drawers and books. Once you could look at them in daylight they were called 'photographs' not 'pics' and they were printed on very thin pieces of trees. 'What are trees', you ask? Well sit back, son and let me weave you a tale..'

Sweeping hand gesture, blurred screen, lots of hitches in the film, lots of mugging at the camera. I imagine thumbs up, overalls, straw hats, and chewing tobacco.

I feel about nine million years old. That happens whenever I look at Christmas trees in family rooms.

Been arranging old photos.

Should be going through paperwork.

Went 'grocery shopping'.

Applied at MIT museum. I should probably go there, once?

Heh..

1 comment:

  1. back when i was your age, phones went on the outside of our skulls, tehe. and we ate religiously from things called 'nukerwaves' that transformed our food into soggy carcinogens.

    ReplyDelete